Monday 3 March 2014

Album Review: Caress Your Soul


Yes, I know I am undeniably late to hop on this bandwagon (get it?! BANDwagon hahaha), a whole 11 months late in fact but I have only recently discovered this master piece of an album from the Sydney based 5-piece band, 'Sticky Fingers. This album (which is their first, may I add) has been on replay for about two weeks now and is still just as amazing as when I first heard it.  This easy-listening album was released in March back in 2013, and their single, 'Caress Your Soul' placed at number 61 in Triple J's Hottest 100 of that very year, which is a fair effort for a debut album.*

Each song melts into the next, beginning with 'How to Fly', in which psychedelic influences are evident and a reggae rhythm keeps it moving. 'Caress Your Soul' contains 11 well-executed songs which, on average, last about 3 minutes. My favourites from this album include 'Australia Street', 'These Girls' and  of course 'Caress Your Soul'.

Australia Street:
This was the first tune that caught my attention and even the first listen had me dancing along to it's addictive beat. The intro, although kinda cheesy leads into a really rad song with a sway-worthy chorus. This song flows really well and the transition from verse to chorus is very smooth and natural. All in all a fantastic song. 

These Girls:
This song is much more relaxed and 'chilled' (I feel much too lame to use that word), again their are very psychedelic influences and a stripped back rock vibe. The vocals are on point and the repetitiveness of the song proves to be hard to forget. 

Caress Your Soul:
I had actually heard this song a while back on Triple J without realising it. Like all the other tracks, it moves really well and I absolutely love the piano in the intro as it sets the song up perfectly and proves to be a great foundation for the rest of the track. 

I give 'Caress Your Soul' a well-deserved 4 out of 5 stars and I look forward to what's to come next from Sticky Fingers. 

*You can purchase this album from iTunes, and you can check out Sticky Finger's website at: http://www.stickyfingerstheband.com

No comments:

Post a Comment