Sunday 23 February 2014

Book Review: It's Kind of a Funny Story




I read It's Kind of a Funny Story over the summer holiday's and it has quickly claimed it's place in my Top 3 Favourite Books of All Times chart. To quote Teen Vogue, "A book about depression that's not the least depressing." To be frank with you, the cover of this book is what enticed me the most and a quick read of the blurb and first page did more than force me to add it to my extensive christmas list. I was so eager to read this book that I simply could not wait for christmas so I 'rented' the movie, slap on the wrist, and watched it. The movie and book vary quite a lot but I thoroughly enjoyed both renditions of the story very much. Anyway onto the review, as this is about the book not the movie.

The plot follows a very awkward, very cringe-worthy 15 year-old boy, Craig Gilner who suffers from clinical depression. He attends an elite school for above average students that proves to be too much for the struggling teenager.One particularly bad night Craig ends up in a psychiatric ward where he meets an array of incredibly well developed characters who help him come to conclusions he never thought he would. 

This quirky novel was surprisingly relatable for a book about mental illness and had me laughing out loud (I will suppress to use the acronym) and left me emotionally moved (in the least cliché of ways). The story was incredibly authentic, as the the author Ned Vizzini* had actually based this book on his experience in a mental ward, and was impeccably written. I would honestly suggest this book to anyone, especially teenagers, as Craig experiences situations any teenager has to endure sometime in his or her life. I give it a 4 out of 5 stars. 
*Quick side note: Ned Vizzini passed away on the 19th of December 2013, he was suffering from a depression that he could not over come. All of my love and thoughts go to his family at this very tough time. xx 
If you or someone you know is suffering from depression call the Suicide Helpline at 13 11 14 (Australian callers only)

No comments:

Post a Comment