Friday 10 October 2014

Musicians Who Not Only Rock It Out On Stage


Laugh at me all you want, but that is literally the only title I could come up with. In an ideal world I would have created some really cool pun, combining both fashion and music, but apparently I am not as wordily talented as I thought I was. Anyway, basically I have composed a list of my top 5 favourite artists who are style-stalk worthy. Before I clumsily construct anymore sentences, I'm going to get on with it.

Number 5: Broods
Broods is a duo from New Zealand consisting of Georgia Nott (lead vocals) and older brother and multi instrumentalist Caleb Nott who works on the production and backing vocals of their tracks. Their most notable or recognisable song would probably be Mother & Father, which is a cool, icy, electro-pop number from their new album Evergreen. I must admit that I haven't paid much attention as to what Caleb has been wearing as both of my eyes have been fully focused on Georgia. 
I love the sports luxe reference of the shorts, combined with the heels to balance the look together. And her hair. Love. It.
 Okay I must admit that Caleb is in need of an honourable mention here for that awesome bomber jacket, which I kinda need in my life right now. But also, I love the half-length sleeves on what seems to be a kimono inspired cover-up?
An all black outfit that is cleverly broken up by the slice of midriff. And her hair again! Very, very cool.

Number 4: Haim
Haim (pronounced Hime) is a pop-rock, all American band combined of the three sisters Este, Danielle and Alana Haim. Their records are consistently bright and summery, perfect for hot-weather barbecues or lying by the pool. Although I've almost progressed from their music, their style, clothing wise,  is still completely current and relevant to me. 
 (from left to right) Danielle, Alana and Este
Love Alana's leather shorts and cropped high-neck textured top that creates a simple but completely effortlessly cool look. I also adore Danielle's leather gilet, which is toning down the inevitable farmer vibes that are radiating from her tucked in flannel and belted trousers number.
 I'm really digging Este's simplicity in this long-legged, black jump suit outfit with the cinched in waist to sort of separate the two sections whilst giving her a bit of shape simultaneously. Also love her sunnies, especially that beautiful muted orange colour. But most of all that STUNNING coat that Danielle is wearing, with the less-is-more style of the white T-shirt dress.
Turtle-neck? Check. Monochrome? Check. Grid pattern? Check. This straight dress is literal perfection with the tied-around-the-waist sports luxe jumper adding just enough shape and detail to contribute and not take away from this outfit. Love the coordination of the second outfit to give off a I-just-came-off-the-run-way-and-I'm-totally-rocking-it feel.

Number 3: Wild Belle
If I'm going to be honest Wild Belle is a band I have only recently discovered. They remind me almost of Sticky Fingers, especially in the song Keep You. Wild Belle are an American band comprised of siblings (can you see a common thread here?) Elliot and Natalie Bergman. Their music combines an array of genres plastered together in a way that is perfectly cohesive, much like their clothes.
 Ah, I love clashing so much, and it works here flawlessly. I'm focusing mostly on beard-and-hair-central here (let's be honest I'm jealous of his hair) but I'm digging this rock reference that's gained by the button down shirt and cropped blazer. I'm also admiring Natalie's beautiful arm cuffs.
 All I can say is, the 60's in a shirt.
I have been lusting over a white suit for a really long time. What both siblings did right here is find one that is cut in a really cool, modern and up-to date way. Love. Love. Love.

Number 2: Grimes
Grimes or Claire Boucher is a Canadian producer, artist, musician, singer-songwriter and music video director. Her music is influenced by a wide array of genres such as electronic, hip-hop and medieval (I told you there was a use for the Dorian Mode ;) ) Her clothes definitely reflect her experimental music and I'm obsessed.
 I am obsessed with her green ombre hair, I think it looks so cool and so her. Not to mention that amazing army parka/coat.
 Oh yes. Oh yes. Oh. Yes. First of all that denim gilet has been on my want list for at least a year now, ever since that Zara one sold out. :'( Secondly that maxi dress is so perfectly bedazzled that I'm in love. And lastly, how does one purchase such stunning pieces?



































This is probably my favourite out of all her looks. I love the school girl and boy influences these pieces radiate. The plaited piggy-tails. The denim culottes. The stockings. The trainers. It's androgynous in the most beautiful way possible. 

Number 1: FKA twigs
And lastly and most importantly the most well-dressed musician out there (in my opinion would have to be FKA twigs, otherwise known as Tahliah Barnett, who is an English singer-songwriter, producer and dancer. Her music is a mixture of electronic, chill and she includes slight references to R&B. 
 If I'm going to be honest I just really like this photo and of course her Tee, and her hair, and her make-up.
 This outfit is honestly flawless. The culottes, lingerie-inspired top paired with the Doc Martins combine an array of styles that fit together like a jigsaw. Her sassy pout and wind-swept wavy hair really does add to the look.
I really do love this outfit. Her hair, first of all, wow! I just love how effortlessly cool she manages to look in this all black number and I adore her tarnished gold necklaces. 
I love how Twigs really allowed the printed trousers to speak for themselves. She kept them a statement by pairing them with classic brown Timberlands and a simple black crop with vibrant red lips.

2 comments: