Wednesday 3 December 2014

Album Haul

I have completely neglected this blog. But I'm going to make excuses and blame it on exams and the fact that our internet has been and currently is, utter shit. Anyway, I've been spending money but I like to believe it's towards a positive cause. The music industry. I have decided to build my CD collection because I used to have, up to a week ago, only two CDs; those being the Saddle Club Soundtrack and a So Fresh Summer Hits compilation dating back to the good old early '000's. Therefore I will show you the CDs I have bought:

PAPA VS. PRETTY: White Deer Park

I actually bought this album a couple of months ago when I attended the BallPark Music gig which I have a blogpost on reviewing the show, which I will link here. I bought this album because I was in a spendy mood and it was only $10 so how could I resist? This album is permanently in my car and it's a good album for road trips and rainy days. It's okay. The tracks all seem to blend into one and it takes a couple of listens to actually be able to distinguish each song. The only track that seems to stand out and actually display variation in the band's songwriting, is Smother which is rock influenced and has a real anthem vibe that I dig.


OF MONSTERS AND MEN: My Head Is An Animal

This was a gift from my mum's friend about a week ago. I must admit I haven't had a chance to listen to the full album but I have listened to a few of the individual tracks. It's a solid album and is easy-listening. Their sound is generally folk influenced and both vocalists have stunning voices. A good winter album.


SHE & HIM: Volume 3

I have never actually heard of this band before and again I haven't had a chance to listen to the album yet. Although I do recognize the girl on the front to be Zooey Deschanel, so I'm intrigued to listen to their stuff. I will report back.

HAIM: Days Are Gone

As I said in my previous post, I'm kind of over Haim's music as I listened to them heaps last October - December. Yet I do still believe it's a solid summery, easy-listening album with some good pop-rock tracks. I recommend this album to those looking for something new this summer. But as for myself, I'll give it a listen again this summer but probably not as much as the others.


BOY & BEAR: Harlequin Dream

Again, this is another band I got over last year although to be fair I haven't given this album a good crack yet. From what I've heard of it, that is Southern Son and Three-Headed Women, I'm not as big of a fan of it as I have been of previous albums, but I will give it another go as I'm generally a fan of their music and their slight folk influences. 


BANKS: Goddess

I am a massive fan of BANKS otherwise known as Jillian Banks, and I can tell you now I have listened to the album over 10 times now.  I find her music to be incredibly honest and raw. BANKS really adapts her tone to suit the theme of her songs, which I find many vocalists don't seem to find the need to do. The highlights of this album for me are Fuck Em' Only We Know, Stick, and Warm Water although I am obsessed with each track. 


HOZIER: Self-titled

Again I haven't had a chance to listen to this album all the way through although I have listened to Take Me To Church and From Eden, which have a similar sound. Yet I have had a brief listen to other tracks like Cherry Wine, which is quite different to the other two tracks previously mentioned, this shows the versatility of this Irish singer-songwriter. I'm looking forward to being able to listen to this album as a full body of work and I might write a review on it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment